Thursday, May 6, 2010

Roast Chicken with Apricot Stuffing





This recipe was found in "living without" magazine, a magazine for people with food allergies and food sensitivities.

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup quinoa
1 med. onion
3 1/2 TBS of Butter or Olive oil
3TBS pine nuts, sunflower or pumpkin seed (toasted)
1 TBS chopped rosemary
1/4 tsp salt, more for bird cavity
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup dried apricots, soaked in hot water for 30 min.
1 3lb chicken, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup gluten free chicken stalk
1/4 cup dry white wine

I was excited and nervous but ready to cook! I first had to wash the chicken, it was slimy and felt like an old man's face, not that old mens faces are slimy and NOT like I touch old men's faces but the skin was loose.
I was afraid to hurt the chicken, my mom stepped in and showed me how to man handle a lil' 3 lb piece of meat, She just spread open its legs and shoved her hands inside the cavity. ;) I took over and ripped out the poor lil' chicks guts and placed them on a plate.. realizing that this chick didn't even have a heart to begin with! or it was lost in the cavity somewhere. Anyway...
My mother helped this time, since I was all nervous and she read the directions incorrectly.... long story short, we made a lot of mistakes but the process was fun.
I didn't think that it was going to turn out that great, but it was delicious. I specifically liked that it had so much flavor. The apricots and the pumpkin seeds were my favorite ingredients however the pumpkin seeds seemed to be too big. I can see how the pine nuts or sunflower seeds would have been better for size.
I would rate this meal as the best chicken of my life and I still can't believe that I made it. :)
As an amateur cook, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but a lot was going on at one time.

2 comments:

  1. holy moly, she's got a blog! welcome, and be careful not to get addicted like the rest of us. wait, now i'm thinking you need a photo blog too...hmmm. great recipes -- soo yum and loving your commentary!

    ReplyDelete